Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The "I Fell In Love With My Singer" Question

It's Tuesday (or it was when I wrote this) and your guitar-loving pirate friend has returned again with solutions to your problems. Or at least vague, unhelpful advice and thinly-veiled mockery. Remember, I'm looking for fresh new questions. If you need me to chime in or your misery, hit me up at "vanhammersmith" over @ "hotmail.com." (That should throw the robots off my trail).

Today's question!


Dear Van Hammersmith dude,

I play guitar, and I think it's safe to say I'm not that bad. I've played in a few gigs here and there, but nothing too serious. Well I found out a few months ago that my friend Jack is amazing at guitar, and he also shares the same dream as me. So he introduced me to his neighbor. She has the most amazing voice ever. Well anyways, we fell in love with each other. Is that bad? Like, can the band still work since me and her are doing each other?

And Jack is going into the military soon. He's amazing at guitar, do we replace him? I don't want to have to kick the person out that replaces him when he gets back. And our style of music that we play really doesn't need 3 guitars. Do we even replace him? We can still kick ass with just the guitar and singer.

Please help, your pothead-guitar playin fan, Dude.



Okay Dude, you've got two problems here, and both are SERIOUS BAND-DISTURBERS. Second question first! Jack is going into the military soon. That can mean a lot of things. Maybe you won't see him for six months, or a year, or three years. You might not see him for... a while. Maybe he's going overseas somewhere really dangerous and he can't even tell you about it because it's a "Black Op." I don't know. But here's a rule of thumb on replacing band members who are "going away for a while." (jail, rehab, the military, on the run, long surgery recoveries, amnesia, etc).

By the way, I always get ripped for sounding sexist in these replies. I acknowledge that both boys and girls play the rock, but because you're talking about Jack, I'm going to use the male pronoun and avoid the annoying he/she thing.

Six months or less: If he's non-critical to the sound, just try to get along without him. If he is critical to the sound and you have paying gigs coming up, bring in some hired gun-slinger to play the gigs with the clear understanding that this is purely a cash-in-hand situation, and he'll be punted when Regular Joe is finished dealing with his personal demons.

Six months or more: When you're looking at half a year stretching into a year or more, your have to face facts that this dude is not a part of the band right now. Waiting destroys momentum, changing the lineup will change the project... it's a two-faced coin, and each side is a knife. Or something.

Here's what you can do. If you can get away with one guitar, go for it, but keep your options open for new players. Let them know you've got this army buddy that will be back, but not for a long time. If they want to participate, that's great, but be clear there may come a time when the lineup will have to be "reorganized." (Awk-ward).

The thing is, it's important for young developing players and songwriters to have bandmates to bounce material off of. It sounds like you and your man Jack have a good thing going, and it may be hard to find another player to "fill in" that spot while he's away. Like, "Hey bud, try and sound/be more like Jack when you play this one."

On the other hand, playing with other peeps will help you learn your craft. I would say find someone if you can. I'm free on Tuesday nights, but I'm not paying for gas.

As for relentlessly banging away on your lead singer, I always say get it when you can, especially when there's LOVE involved. Let's face it, most rock songs are about love or trying to get laid. It would be anti-rock to suggest you curb your appetites for either. However, take heed of these warnings if you are going out with your lead singer:

One: If you guys break up it will destroy your band.

Two: If you guys get pregnant it will destroy your band.

Three: If you guys become a faction of two against the other players it will destory your band.

Four: If you prioritize your relationship over the band it will destroy your band.

Five: If another band member also falls in love with her it will destroy your band.

Six: If you guys back each other on musical decisions because of your relationship and not because of your real musical opinions, it will destroy your band.

Seven: If you guys have sex in the tour van or in the same room while other band members are trying to sleep it will destroy your band.

Eight: If you get jealous of other dudes checking out your girl while she's looking sexay on stage, it will destroy your band.

Nine: If you can't handle dudes from other bands talking to your girl it will destroy your band.

So go ahead! Get down, make love, have an awesome experience! Just be sure not to, you know, destroy your band.

And remember to send me your questions, everyone. I'm here to help.

Love you tender,

Van Hammersmith.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment